In Memoriam William C. Dement (1928-2020)
Additional content from the June 26, 2020, webinar celebrating Dr. Bill Dement to follow:
- June 26, 2020, Zoom recording – Tribute for Dr. Bill Dement,
- Sleep Research Society’s obituary for Dr. Bill Dement,
- Mary Carskadon’s personal memories and reflections of Dr. Bill Dement,
- Stanford Medicine Alumni Awards 2019: Charles Czeisler (featuring Dr. Bill Dement),
- Dropbox drive (created by Joe Owens) for sharing photos or stories.
The California Sleep Society mourns the death of the American Father of Sleep Medicine.
Please enjoy this video: Dement the Musician
Social Equality: A Message from the Board of Directors
COVID-19: A Message from the Board of Directors
Dear California Sleep Society Members and Colleagues:
As we navigate these uncharted health and economic times, the CSS Board of Directors convened an emergency meeting to assess the COVID-19 circumstances. As always, our patients are our top priority. The BOD has been closely monitoring the situation and are working to provide you with up to date information. We understand that there are many concerns with regard to sleep health services. As a completely volunteer board, we will do our best to keep you up to date as things change. The BOD encourages our members and others to provide any information to the board concerning this emerging issue with regards to your practice in California to enable the BOD to share with others who may be experiencing similar impacts to practice.
We have compiled a list of current good practices and links to resources to help move through this crisis:
1. Recommended, if available, telehealth clinic visits for all patients
2. Appointments for patients greater than age 65 should be rescheduled, unless an emergent situation
3. Follow CDC recommendations for infection control
4. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine has provided some guidance – FAQs for Sleep Clinicians
5. The California Medical Association has provided information on the COVID-19 and telehealth services – Congress approves emergency COVID-19 funding; telehealth for Medicare patients
6. The CDC has provided guidance for managing anxiety – Manage Anxiety & Stress
7. Additional information regarding telehealth services – New telehealth rules and procedure codes for testing
8. State of California Employment Development Department information regarding employment matters and the virus
9. Please consider participating in the Sleep Review’s Survey – How is the Coronavirus Impacting Sleep Medicine Professionals?
10. Please refer to UpToDate – Patient education
11. The U.S. Food & Drug Administration has provided CPAP machine cleaning information
12. The American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine has provided a COVID-19 Update
It will take a concerted effort on the part of everyone who provides sleep health services to work together and do our part to control the spread of the virus in our industry.
Thank you for your efforts.
California Sleep Society – Board of Directors (March 18, 2020; updated March 24, 2020)
California is First State in the Country to Push Back School Start Times
On Sunday, October 13, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed legislation to mandate later start times at most public schools. Thank you to all members who supported this Bill along the way.
SB-328 Passes the State Assembly Education Committee
On Wednesday, July 10, SB-328, authored by Senator Anthony J. Portantino passed the State Assembly Education Committee. SB-328 addresses the significant public health crisis of sleep-deprived teens by requiring high schools in California to start no earlier than 8:30AM and middle schools to begin no earlier than 8:00AM.
Click here to listen to the hearing: https://www.assembly.ca.gov/media/assembly-education-committee-20190710/video
Thanks to all of you who supported SB-328!